Vintage Yater Hoodie. Classic Santa Barbara Surf Shop Logo. 100% cotton.
Reynolds “Renny” Yater was one of the first commercial surfboard builders of the 1950s, a generation that put surfing on the map. As the sport of surfing has continued to grow and flourish throughout the years, so too has Yater’s reputation as a leading contributor to the surfing industry. Perhaps even more remarkable than Yater’s early accomplishments has been his ability to change and grow with the industry, staying on top of current trends and new materials and continuing to produce innovative new boards.
In the early 1950s, Yater shaped and fiberglassed his own boards. During the mid-5Os, Hobie hired him to glass his balsa boards in his Dana Point shop. In 1957, he moved over to Dale Velzy’s shop in San Clemente where he began to shape balsa boards.
In the fall of 1959, Renny opened Yater Surfboards on Anacapa Street. Here he established the famous Santa Barbara Surf Shop logo, an insignia synonymous with Yater surfboards.